Can You File a Lawsuit Over Police Brutality?

This video features Thomas P. Markovits, a Personal Injury attorney based in New York.

New York Injury Lawyer Tom Markovits Explains

Video Transcript:

Judy Maggio:

What can be done if someone's injured or dies as a result of police brutality in New York City? Let's ask New York lawyer Tom Markovits for an Ask the Lawyer's Quick Question.

Tom Markovits:

Well, certainly a lawsuit can be brought against the city of New York if the police intervention, when the police interaction with the injured person is improper or is not based on a probable cause or a good reason. If there is simply an overuse of force or an inappropriate use of force then, there would be a claim both on the civil rights so federal civil rights law, as well as civil rights laws in New York City and in New York State. And it's important to know that to bring this type of suit, often you have to file a notice of claim in New York City, and there are strict time limits to file such notice of claims, and usually it's 90 days, within 90 days of the date of such an incident.

Disclaimer: This video is for informational purposes only. In some states, this video may be deemed Attorney Advertising. The choice of lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.

Legal Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Use of this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Information entered on this website is not confidential. This website has paid attorney advertising. Anyone choosing a lawyer must do their own independent research. By using this website, you agree to our additional Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.