What To Do If Your Ex Won’t Pay Child Support

Attorney Kelli Hooper | 888-558-1353 | Call Now For Answers

It’s a problem faced by many single parents: what can you do if your ex won’t pay child support?

Kelli Byers Hooper is a divorce attorney based in Atlanta. She says that if your ex isn’t paying child support, you need to contact an attorney immediately to figure out what to do.

You can contact Kelli Byers Hooper by calling 888-558-1353 or by submitting a contact form on this page.

What are the penalties for not paying child support?

A family court judge has the power to punish parents who refuse to pay child support. In Georgia, a parent who does not pay child support can face many penalties, including:

  • Fines
  • Garnished wages
  • Liens against property
  • Loss of driver’s license
  • Loss of professional license
  • Loss of hunting and/or fishing licenses
  • Being held in contempt of court
  • Denied passport films
  • Incarceration

What can an attorney do if a parent isn’t paying child support?

An attorney can help the parent who is not receiving child support take measures to file and enforce a child support order. This is not something that a parent should do on their own. Filing a court order is a complex legal maneuver that requires an experienced legal hand. Additionally, a child support attorney can look for other options if one parent is refusing to pay child support.

What if the parent can’t afford to make the payments?

Maybe your ex isn’t paying child support because they can’t afford to make them. Maybe they’ve lost a job, or incurred extra expenses that prevents them from making payments.

If this is the case, then the parent could modify the child support order. They would need to show that either their financial situation or the child’s financial needs have changed. This change would need to be approved by a judge.

To find the best solution for a parent who is not paying child support, contact a local family law attorney who can look into your situation and clearly explain your options.

You can contact Kelli Byers Hooper by calling 888-558-1353 or by submitting a contact form on this page.

Video Transcript:

I'm Rob Rosenthal with AskTheLawyers.com and this is an AskTheLawyers.com legal brief. After divorce, the non-custodial parent may be ordered by the court to pay child support to the custodial parent. There are serious consequences for avoiding these court ordered payments, but some parents find themselves struggling due to the non-custodial parent refusing to pay.

Attorney Kelli Hooper of the Atlanta, Georgia based KBH Law says the consequences of refusing to pay child support are harsh. She says: "When someone refuses to pay child support to a parent who really needs it to cover the bills, that is very harmful to the family. That's why the punishments for not paying child support are so harsh. You can get fined, wages garnished, liens against property, bank accounts frozen, you can even go to jail."

She goes on to say, "Family law attorneys know the best ways to get the courts to quickly move to get you the child support you need for your kids. That is why it is important if your ex spouse is refusing to pay to speak to a family lawyer. We are prepared to do everything in our power to ensure that these court orders are enforced."

The Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984 grants district attorneys and state attorneys general the authority to collect back child support on behalf of custodial parents. For the best information about family law or to choose a lawyer that lawyers choose, make sure to visit AskTheLawyers.com. This has been an AskTheLawyers.com legal brief. I'm Rob Rosenthal.

Disclaimer: This video is for informational purposes only. In some states, this video may be deemed Attorney Advertising. The choice of lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.


© 1999-2022 AskTheLawyers.com™

Terms and Conditions / Privacy Policy /
Report an Issue

Legal Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Use of this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Information entered on this website is not confidential. This website has paid attorney advertising. Anyone choosing a lawyer must do their own independent research. By using this website, you agree to our additional Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.