What to Do About an Arrest Warrant for Unpaid Child Support

This video features Samuel E. Bassett, a Criminal Law attorney based in Texas.

Texas Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney Samuel Bassett

Video Transcript:

Rob Rosenthal:

What are your options if a warrant is issued for your arrest in Texas for non-payment of child support? We're going to ask Austin attorney Sam Bassett in this AskTheLawyers™ Quick Question.

Sam Bassett:

If there's a warrant for your arrest, you oftentimes have to post a bond in the amount of the delinquency. Obviously, I think in these situations, it's best to get a lawyer once you find out you have a warrant for your arrest for child support, and see if that lawyer can communicate and reach a settlement with the AG's office to pull the warrant for a payment for a sum of money. We don't have a debtor's prison, so you can’t be put in prison indefinitely for lack of child support, but you can certainly be arrested and held for a number of days.

Disclaimer: This video is for informational purposes only. In some states, this video may be deemed Attorney Advertising. The choice of lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.

Legal Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Use of this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Information entered on this website is not confidential. This website has paid attorney advertising. Anyone choosing a lawyer must do their own independent research. By using this website, you agree to our additional Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.