Construction Accident: Workers’ Comp the Only Option?

This video features Thomas P. Markovits, a Personal Injury attorney based in New York.

New York Construction Accident Lawyer Explains Avenues for Recovery

Video Transcript:

Rob Rosenthal: 

If a construction worker is injured on the job in New York City, could they have more than a workers' comp claim? Let's ask New York City lawyer, Tom Markovits for this Ask The Lawyers Quick Question.

Tom Markovits: 

So, in New York, if you're injured on the job, clearly you have a workman's comp case, and that's whether you sue or you don't sue or there is anybody to sue or not. If you're hurt on the job in New York, your employer's insurance carrier, workman's comp carrier is required to pay your doctor bills, your hospital bills, your time out of work. Depending on the severity of your injury, often there's a lump sum settlement as well. However, in addition to a workman's comp case, if you're hurt on a job site in New York because of a law commonly called the Scaffold Law, or actually it's the Labor Law, also referred to as the Labor Law, you have a right to sue the owner of the site where you were injured in addition to any other negligent party other than your employer. So, in New York, it's a combination of the two. You have what's called a third party lawsuit against the property owner or developer, and also a workman's comp case.

Disclaimer: This video is for informational purposes only. In some states, this video may be deemed Attorney Advertising. The choice of lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.

Legal Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Use of this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Information entered on this website is not confidential. This website has paid attorney advertising. Anyone choosing a lawyer must do their own independent research. By using this website, you agree to our additional Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.