Alaska UM/UIM Insurance: Is It Required?

This video features Mark Choate, a Criminal Law attorney based in Alaska.

Juneau Car Accident Lawyer Recommends the Coverage

Video Transcript:

Rob Rosenthal:

Is uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage required in Alaska, and why should you have it? We're asking Alaska lawyer Mark Choate for this Ask the Lawyers Quick Question.

Mark Choate:

Underinsured motorist and uninsured motorists are a type of coverage that is offered in most states. It normally is required to at least be at the minimum of $50,000 - $100,000 here in Alaska, but you can decline it and surprisingly, many people decline UM/UIM insurance. It is the worst decision in the world because it's the best insurance you can buy, where the other insurance you buy, your auto is protect somebody else if you injure them... you know, you aren't paying attention and run into the back of someone's car. UM/UIM basically says, if the other driver who causes you injury doesn't have insurance or their insurance is inadequate to take care of your needs, that policy literally steps in to provide a place... A pot of money for you to be able to access.

Disclaimer: This video is for informational purposes only. In some states, this video may be deemed Attorney Advertising. The choice of lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.

Legal Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Use of this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Information entered on this website is not confidential. This website has paid attorney advertising. Anyone choosing a lawyer must do their own independent research. By using this website, you agree to our additional Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.