What to Look for in a Car Insurance Policy
Written by AskTheLawyers.com™
Written by AskTheLawyers.com™
Car insurance is a requirement in most places, so it’s a good idea to know what to look for in a car insurance policy. There are many different providers that claim to offer the best or most affordable car insurance, but how do you know which one is the best for you? Different cars in different locations may be eligible for different prices of coverage. For example, older cars will often cost less to insure than a brand new one. Additionally, there are different areas of coverage you can add to any insurance policy. It’s worth it to check out these areas of coverage before deciding which ones are right for you. The amount your policy must cover may vary depending on your state and vehicle, so make sure to look up the requirements in your area before purchasing.
Areas of coverage which could be included in your insurance policy include the following:
- Collision insurance: This insurance is designed to cover the damages of your car in case of an accident up to its estimated current value.
- Liability insurance: This insurance is designed to cover damages sustained by another party if you are responsible for causing an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: This insurance is a little more flexible and is designed to cover damages to your vehicle that are not necessarily related to a car accident, such as theft, vandalism, natural disasters, and more.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist (UIM): This insurance is designed to cover your damages if you are involved in an accident with a motorist who does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to cover your losses. In many places this coverage can be waived, but accident attorneys highly recommend purchasing as much of this coverage as you can afford so that you are financially protected in case of an accident with a UIM.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is another coverage that may be waived in some places, but it is not recommended to do so. PIP insurance can cover medical bills and lost wages in case of an injury to your person, whether in your car, on a bicycle, or as a pedestrian.
Questions to ask when looking for a car insurance provider include but are not limited to:
- Is the company top-rated by current and past customers?
- Do their prices compare well to other companies claiming to offer the same services?
- What kind of coverage do they offer?
- How is their customer service?
- Do they reply promptly?
- Are their answers clear or evasive?
If you are looking to update your current insurance policy, reach out to an insurance expert to discuss what type of coverage is recommended for your situation. One of the best ways to protect yourself and your family in the event of an accident is to take preemptive steps by purchasing adequate insurance. If you have been involved in an accident and want to know how to apply your current insurance policy to your losses, reach out to a car accident attorney to learn more.