Share: Share this article on Twitter Share this article on Facebook

Common Medical Malpractice Injuries

Written by™

Common Medical Malpractice Injuries

Written by™


Ask A Lawyer

Medical malpractice can result in lasting and life-changing injuries. While there is a long list of injuries that can occur due to medical malpractice, there is a variety of alarmingly common injuries that deserve special awareness. Perhaps even more alarming is that according to Diederich Healthcare, only 2% of medical malpractice victims pursue legal compensation, leaving the other 98% of victims struggling to pay their increased damages out of pocket.

Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare professional or medical facility fails to exercise a proper standard of care, resulting in serious injuries and/or even death for the patient. Common types of medical malpractice resulting in patient injuries include doctor errors, bacterial infections, misdiagnosis, medical negligence, failure to diagnose, delay in diagnosis, and surgical errors such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving objects in the body after surgery.

Common causes of medical malpractice injuries:

  • Incorrect dosages
  • Incorrect medication
  • Misdiagnoses
  • Delayed diagnoses
  • Failure to treat
  • Birth injuries
  • Defective medical products
  • Surgical errors
  • Performing unnecessary surgery
  • Performing surgery on the wrong part of the body
  • Leaving objects inside the body after surgery
  • Injuries due to anesthesia errors

Each type of medical malpractice can cause different and/or multiple injuries or medical conditions, and many of the injuries or medical conditions may be caused by multiple types of medical malpractice. Medication errors are the most common type of medical malpractice according to the Journal of the American Medical Association with on average 1.5 million people sustaining injuries due to medication errors every year.

Common injuries due to medical malpractice:

  • Heart attack
  • Cancer
    Injuries due to foreign objects like tools or sponges left in the patient’s body
  • Shoulder dystocia
  • Nerve damage
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Internal bleeding
  • Organ damage
  • Death

According to a study performed by John Hopkins, it is estimated that more than 250,000 deaths every year can be attributed to medical malpractice. In some cases, medical malpractice may result in a permanent injury or disability for a patient, in which case lifelong expenses related to rehabilitation and disability care will likely play a role.

Lost wages, future medical and rehabilitation expenses, life care expenses, vocational rehabilitation, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium or care and companionship, not to mention wrongful death and even funeral expenses are unfair damages a person could potentially be compensated for in a medical malpractice claim.

If you suspect you were injured due to medical malpractice, seek legal advice.

Medical malpractice consists of serious errors by medical staff which can cause severe injury to the patients who suffer from it. Medical bills are costly, to begin with, and are likely even more so when more medical care is needed to correct a medical mistake. Talk to a lawyer to learn more about your rights and what compensation you may be eligible for. Due to the extensive training that medical professionals receive and the fact that a patient’s health, life, and future are dependent on receiving sufficient, quality care, medical professionals are held to a higher standard and should be held accountable to exhibit a higher level of responsibility to their patients.

Legal Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Use of this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Information entered on this website is not confidential. This website has paid attorney advertising. Anyone choosing a lawyer must do their own independent research. By using this website, you agree to our additional Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.