What Do I Do If I’m Seriously Injured Out of State?

, ,

Serious personal injuries – traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, severe damage caused by car accidents and truck accidents, etc. – disrupt victims’ lives out of nowhere, leaving them confused and wondering what to do next. Paying for medical bills is one of the biggest concerns, which is why personal injury attorneys help these victims hold the negligent parties accountable through the civil justice system.

However, what are you supposed to do when you are injured in a state outside of the one where you claim permanent residence? This is one of the questions lawyers receive most frequently, and it is very important that victims of injury know what sort of lawyer to contact.

Should I Call a Local Attorney?

Even if the accident happened elsewhere, a local attorney can help you coordinate your medical treatments and benefits that you might receive after a verdict or settlement. Local attorneys are also beneficial to victims who simply want to learn more about what they can do after a catastrophic injury or sudden loss of a loved one. If you are a resident of Indiana, for example, an Indianapolis injury lawyer understands how the city and state laws affect the aftermath of your case. He or she can also connect you with a qualified attorney in the state where the accident took place.

Do I File a Lawsuit in My Homestate or the State Where the Accident Happened?

If it makes sense for your case, your local attorney may collaborate with an out of state attorney to handle your case together. This brings no extra expense to you as the attorneys split fees and costs. Dual representation often saves the client money because there are no travel expenses to cover.

Or, your local attorney could handle your case pro hac vice (for this occasion). This occurs when the court decides that an attorney is qualified enough to handle your case in a different state.

Most personal injury attorneys handle claims on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay no upfront costs, and the attorney only receives fees if they are successful in obtaining compensation for you. These fees are taken out of the verdict or settlement that you receive.

Whether you were injured in Indiana or another state, an Indianapolis injury attorney can either handle your case or connect you with a qualified attorney in the state where the accident occurred.